LVT Use Case in Landfill Management

LVT Units even watch and protect your garbage.

Michael Hanks
|
April 16, 2021
| ~
3
min Read
By
Michael Hanks
,
Customer Marketing Manager
,
LiveView Technologies

Landfills are not garbage dumps. They are highly engineered facilities with many layers of protection that isolate waste from our local communities. Ensuring the protection of our environment, individual’s health, and more is a top priority for the modern landfill. Our LVT units can help keep them safe and secure in many ways, but here are a few of them:

Safety and security of the property

There are tons of types of trash that are placed in a landfill. Some are non-hazardous, and some are. In many cases, after all recyclable items are removed from picked-up waste, hundreds of truckloads a day take the remains to a nearby landfill. Employees then begin the process of sorting, covering, maintaining, and monitoring to make sure the waste is dealt with properly. Keeping the property properly protected is essential. 24/7 surveillance, alerts, and deterrence can help the hundreds of acres of land stay protected and control factors that are unique to landfills.

Maintaining a landfill also takes a lot of heavy machinery work. Compactors are able to move mounds of trash at any given time, rigs deploy “autofluff” and dirt to cover the waste, and other heavy equipment runs across the landfill. This machinery isn’t cheap, millions of dollars in fact. Keeping them secure is instrumental in keeping a landfill functioning at 100%.

Detect and control fires: locating heat spots

A garbage fire is no joke. It’s not enough to be reactive to a fire once it starts, but landfills have to be proactive in stopping them before they begin. According to Wikipedia, 40% of landfill fires are attributed to arson. With LVT units monitoring a site, notifications are sent promptly when any sign of intrusion is made, and teams are able to deter any possible crime that may occur because of this. The other 60% of landfill fires typically happen when hotspots get out of control.

To control these hotspots, LVT units are set up with thermal cameras that can detect them. Since landfill employees have to fight their own fires, it becomes invaluable to know when there is a hotspot. In most cases, thermal cameras are set at 251 degrees. If any part of the landfill goes above that, alerts are immediately triggered and employees have ample time to maintain and remove any risk of a fire.

Remote location peace of mind

Landfills are typically located many miles outside a city where law enforcement, firefighters, and off-duty employees can’t get to a site in case of an emergency. LVT units provide the peace of mind that their site is monitored 24/7. All footage is stored on a hard drive, but, once a unit is triggered, it creates an event with the corresponding recording in the LVT Platform. It notifies the employees in charge to easily log in and view a livestream as well as recorded events. If something is missed, past data is easily found in the hard drive and uploaded directly to the cloud through cellular connectivity.

If you’re interested in learning more about the specific use cases for landfills you can check out this case study we did with Intermountain Regional Landfill here.

More Posts You'll Love

Get a Demo

Simply put in your email below and we'll set up a time for quick screenshare demo of the LVT Command Center. We'll show you how it works and how powerful it is.